Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Presenting Arms

(Friday, March 13th, 1600)

In order not to be conspicuous, I can't carry a personal wristwatch in this century. But I can get away with a pendant watch on a necklace. Whoever was occupying the room next to mine at the Bell Inn for the last couple of days was suffering with a very bad chest infection; coughing and wheezing all night and most of the day when I was there. And the inn staff were often bringing hot soup and strong-smelling home remedies to the room. While I haven't been able to get much sleep, I've managed. But I feel worse for the poor soul in the next room. According to my pendant watch at about four thirty this morning one of the inn staff woke me banging on his door, and it turned out that he had finally succumbed to his illness.

After that, I couldn't really sleep - too much coming and going; a priest administering a final blessing, the constable of the town making certain that no mischief had been done, and two men from the almshouses to collect the body.

One of the good things about an inn is that it never sleeps. For the next couple of hours I sat in the snug nursing a mug of mulled cider before breakfasting on oatmeal with cream and a drop of honey. And for once, Master Kemp didn't leave me behind. Although I should admit I was still brushing down Leto and had to make haste to saddle her.

By mid-morning we had reached the village of Rockland where Master Kemp intends to rest awhile, generously standing a round of drinks for all in the party. But forasmuch as he would like to speak to the innkeeper, Master Garner would not see us until he had put off his workaday clothes for his armour! When he finally honored us with his presence he made Master Kemp such a welcome as I don't think I have seen anywhere else, nor do I expect to, as Will himself later remembered it: "Going down on his knees he blessed the hour that any of the Queens well-wishers or friends would vouchsafe to come within his house." (Personally, I think he was a little overawed firstly by Will's reputation which had preceded him by some days, and secondly by a visit from a gentleman from London, no less. Someone who had entertained Her Majesty!)

Yet again, someone who has heard tell of Kemp's epic journey chooses to keep company with him in his dance, but like so many before him, Trojan that he is, Master Garner lays down in the way, red-faced and puffing before we have gone two furlongs from the village.
And once more, the road, such as it is, is so muddy, wet and sticky, that I am obliged to dismount for fear of Leto losing her footing.

X:209
T:The Queen's Delight
M:6/8
C:
S:Bacon (MDT)
N:
A:Bucknell
O:English
R:Jig
%P:A/2(AB$^3$)$^6$(AC$^3$)$^2$
P:A.(AB3)6(AC3)2
K:G
Q:C3=100
P:A
|: d2 g dcB | cBc ABc | d2 G d2 c | BcA G3 :|
P:B
cBc cBc | ABc def | gfg eag | gfe def |
g2 g gfe | dec ABc | d2 G d2 c | BcA G3 ||
P:C
cBc cBc | ABc d2 e |
M:3/8
L:1/8
f3 |
M:6/8
g2 f g3 | (2ea g3 | g2 f e3 |
M:3/8
L:1/8
def |
M:6/8
g2 g gfe | dec ABc | d2 G d2 c | BcA G3 ||
%abc

Kemp's Jig on Google Maps

To convert the code above to sheet music, or listen to the tunes, copy the code for a single song, then paste it here and [submit].

No comments:

Search

Google