Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Friday, August 31, 2007

London's Burning!

September 2nd 2007 is the 341st anniversary of the outbreak of the Fire of London, which was witnessed and described by Samuel Pepys in his Diary. Some historians suggest that, while the fire wreaked terrible devastation on the city, it also burned away much of the slum accommodation that had provided a haven for the flea-carrying rats which acted as a significant vector for plague outbreaks.



In World War II while the Nazis battled to raze London as a symbol of British pride, the population of the city endured nightly air raids often sheltering in underground (Tube) stations, or hastily erected family shelters in their gardens.

The resilience of the spirit of Londoners has long been celebrated, and whether recovering from a devastating city-wide fire, or the aftermath of a terrorist bomb in Hyde Park, the attitude of the Londoner seems to be summed up by the typical image of someone taking in a shocked neighbour to sit down with a cup of hot, sweet tea before sorting out the practical details.

X:62 % number
T:Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner % title
C: % composer
O: % origin.
M:4/4 % meter
L:1/4 % length of shortest note
Q:180 % tempo
K:A % key
V:1 % voice 1
zA =G>=F | D z _E<=E | =c2 =A2 | G2 =A2 | z A G
w:May-be it's be-cause I'm a Lon-don-er, that I love Lon-don so, May-be it's
G
A | =G>=F D z | A>G =G>=F | D2 A A/=G/ | =F =G2 z |
w:be-cause I'm a Lon-don-er, That I think of 'er, wher-ev-er I go,
G
A | =G>=F D2 | _E<=E =c2 | A2 G2 | A2 z z |
w:I get a fun-ny feel-in' in-side o' me Just walk-in' up an' down,
=c>A =c>A | =c2 _B>A | d>_B =G2 | d2 =c2 | d2 A2 | =G2 =F z |]
w:May-be it's be-cause I'm a Lon-don-er, That I love Lon-don Town!


To convert the code above to sheet music, or listen to the tunes, copy the code for a single song, then paste it here and [submit].

1 comment:

Miss Pookie Yost said...

I remember my mom talking about the blitz, and the many times she had to go to the underground. This was a great blog, thanks. God bless

Search

Google