Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Friday, January 22, 2010

A Passage to India

When the director asked me if I liked curry, I should have suspected something. Apart from the routine debriefing questions, my director never asks me anything unless there's an ulterior motive of some kind. And here I am, having vowed never to risk life and limb on a wooden ship, sailing for India! We're only ten days out of Portsmouth and already I am developing a potentially lifelong aversion to salt herring. For variety we have some fresh fruit aboard, but it is strictly rationed, as is cheese and the rum which the crew gulp down like nectar but which in my opinion might serve as mouthwash.
The good thing about my growing aversion to dried fish is that I am developing a rapport with the ship's cat, very imaginatively named "Blackie". So, what else have I learned so far?
  • Life at sea is damp.
  • The crew aren't altogether happy about having a passenger aboard. Particularly a female passenger. But I am allowed on deck for a couple of hours each day as long as I don't distract the sailors from their duties.
  • Since my (tiny - think broom-closet) cabin is relatively warm and comfortable the handful of books I brought along are relatively safe from the aforementioned damp and I have as much time for reading as I could ever want.
  • In an effort to relieve the monotony of my diet, I tried a piece of hardtack. Hard is right. Even after soaking it in the soup of the day, it remains like homebaked concrete.
  • Sailors are an impossibly superstitious group. I hope to write more about that later.
The best part of the voyage, in my opinion, is that the sailors are well-versed in all forms of recreation and during off-hours when more-or-less one third of the crew are off watch there is music, games and chatter to be found all over the ship. Which is to say, in an area roughly half the size of my front yard at home.
Having never been much of a knitter, I thought a lengthy voyage like this might provide me with ideal opportunity to learn and a couple of days ago I was on deck winding the yarn I bought before leaving Portsmouth when Blackie found me. The help of the ship's cat might have been enough trouble for me, but the ship's carpenter who also plays the viol saw the mischief that Blackie was threatening and struck up with the following ditty which has since been entered in my list of some of the most ribald I have ever heard!
    Creative Commons License                My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host!

The    written content of this work is licensed under a Creative    Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.       

8 comments:

Mama Bear said...

omg.. after ALL of the words in the song.. at the VERY end.. they won't type out ass?? lmao!!!! Too funny!

When did you reveal that you were a woman??? I must have missed something.. you've always been well concealed when traveling in the past. You're durn lucky.. those VERY superstitious sailors didn't toss you to Davy Jones' locker.

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

Booking passage on a wooden ship, I decided it was a good idea to be upfront about it; there isn't much privacy in the head.

Stephen Faust said...

Is this a yarn or have you really gone and done it?

Mama Bear said...

AH!! Gotcha! Though.. I don't think they rarely bathed.. and perhaps.. as a passenger on board.. you could have feigned an illness.. and begged to use the Captain's private mess. Have you ever seen one on an actual ship?? We did in Baltimore!! omg.. it was SO tiny.. and of course.. it all dumped straight outside. The closet.. was extremely narrow. I think.. I may have some pics of it posted.. in my Papabear photo album.

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

Just a yarn, sfmystery. But Mom grew up in North Bengal and I would love to see the hill country before I die.

Malcolm Hutton said...

Video trailer for the film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJvteS8uEA

Malcolm Hutton said...

Peggy Aschcroft was also in "The Jewel in the Crown" which also portrays so much of India.

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

Thanks for the tip, Cherei. I will have to have a word with the Captain. Been hors de combat for a few days after having a tooth pulled! And the weather has been crazy!

Search

Google