Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Dedicated Follower of Fashion!

Ordinarily, I don't approve of the I'm so glad that didn't happen to me attitude. But after celebrating Thanksgiving with Annabelle Sarah Hale (and with not only her permission, but her encouragement) the following song (to the tune of "Oh Susanna" for those of us who don't read music) struck us both as an entertaining gift to share with music-lovers for ages to come.
I think the lyrics tell a better story than anything I could concoct!
    Creative Commons License                My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host!

The    written content of this work is licensed under a Creative    Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.       

7 comments:

Barbara Frederick said...

Good one! Is it old? Seems like there's a couple of lines missing from the last verse.

Francisco Sard said...

Oh poor Sally, how very cross you seem.
(Spanish version: Oh Susana, no llores mas por mi)
This son was very well know in Spain when I was a child. Nowadays, with TV shows full of idiots saying nonsenses and videogames I have my doubts.
I used to play it with the violin

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

Printed by H.Such of London, sometime between 1849 and 1862. There are a couple of lines missing from the last verse, but if you click on the link then select the PDF option, it is complete.

Mama Bear said...

Well.. I'll be durned.. we used to sing a bit of this in school.. but, never read the rest of the song!

Peter List said...

Top one looked like a tattoo to me... but then, my mind will probably be stuck on ink until I get the tattoo (my family's heraldic coat of arms) I was trying to get when my leg gave out ;>

Jean Jeannie said...

very old song

Astra Navigo said...

When I was a Civil War reenactor, a lot of these songs were sung while we were marching - not this one, specifically, but many like it.

Search

Google