Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Friday, March 27, 2009

Away with the fairies

By the time I tottered off to my room the hour was late, and I was rather feeling the various effects of
  • more than two pints of cider
  • a couple of hours of very vigorous dancing
  • learning a couple of new songs from Mr.Nolan,
not having a timepiece with me I had no idea what time it was when I was shaken awake by Mr.Connelly, but as he yelled at me that the tavern was afire my nostrils confirmed the tang of smoke in the air. The decision to sleep in my long-tailed shirt meant that I didn't have to worry about decency in the midst of the emergency, but even as I was pulling my knee-britches on Mr.Connelly asked me to help him save the strongbox which held his wife's few items of jewellery, and most of the family's savings.
I should explain at this point that the tavern was built into the side of a steep hill, so the window of my upstairs room opened perhaps six feet above the ground level, and it was through my room that Mr.Connelly urged his two older children to make their escape, their terrified mother accompanying them with baby Sean held tightly in her arms.
In the Connelly's private apartment we took hold of a small wooden chest no more than eighteen inches in any dimension by my reckoning, with sturdy black iron handles. But for its small size it still proved surprisingly heavy. At some length, between the two of us we manhandled the chest out of the window and dropped it to the ground where I was almost certain it would burst, but the iron bands on the lid, and around the sides held it firm.
Mr.Connelly insisted that I should jump next, and that is where things began to get confused. I wasn't confident about jumping even such a short distance to the ground and was trying to pluck up courage, that much I remember clearly. But then I think I was pushed.
Whether I landed badly, I'm not sure, but I don't remember anything between hesitating in the window, and waking. The next morning, when I woke I was cold, stiff and still only partly dressed. And laying on the hay in the hayloft of the stables opposite the tavern. Of course, my first thought was to look for the Connellys and see how badly the tavern had been damaged, and that was when I got the biggest surprise.
The building itself showed no signs of fire, but searching around to the rear of the building, the window of the room which I had occupied was ajar, and while I was out there, Angus the apprentice and potboy came down the hill, carrying a basket of fresh eggs and whistling cheerfully.
"'tis a fine clear morning for the fresh sweet air, is it not?"
I asked Angus if anything ... had happened last night, and of course he wanted to know why I might think anything had. So I was obliged to recount most of my recollection of events to him.
His face took on a thoughtful expression: "Well, I would say it is possible, though some might disagree, that the fair folk played a trick on you last night."
After that, there was no stemming the tide of gossip from the pub and I left as soon as was decently possible, but not without a fair bit of good-natured mirth at my expense; Mr.Connelly was kind enough to reassure me that his family's wealth was quite secure. But what concerned me more were the few, mostly the womenfolk, who crossed themselves and lowered their gaze as I left the village.

Still in Ireland

some notes on the history of Irish dance
a tantalizing glimpse of the history of firefighting in Ireland
    Creative Commons License                My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host!

The    written content of this work is licensed under a Creative    Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.       

8 comments:

Hannah Theresa Weyland said...

I remember singing that at school,in fact,I still sing it occassionally even now.

Mama Bear said...

omg... getting pushed out a window.. one never could land properly.. Though.. look at how many kids.. love jumping out of the barn.. into the hay! lol

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

I'd forgotten this, but hotclaws and your comments together reminded me, Mamabear, the seniors at school used to scramble out of the windows of one of the classrooms to spend lunchtime on one of the flat roofs! (among other mischief)

Shers Gallagher said...

Are you stealing Gutenberg images? LOL.

Sheila ~ said...

Enjoyed the tale! I like how how one can enjoy one chapter, even when one is sadly remiss at keeping up with the whole story ... :)

I clicked that "I (Heart) Homemade" ... bookmarked it in case you add things, or in case I ever have money again! :) That's great! Enjoyed the bio info, too.

Have a great weekend!

P.S. Sorry I missed your birthday ... I just don't see those little icons at the right side like I used too :(

Katha Mahoney said...

Oh, yes! Very enjoyable indeed!

Francisco Sard said...

240 the half note?. It is very fast. My metronome only arrives to 216. I tried it with the metronome of my music editor (that arrives to 320) and I think you probably are referring to the quarter note.
For the rest, your stories are delightful, and more than once I have to quit my chair to look for the dictionary (actually good, since it makes improve my English).
Thanks a lot once more.

( Myscha ) Kittybriton said...

I think you're probably right. If I revise this, I should post a version using shorter note values, and a slower metronome mark.

Search

Google