Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sic transit gloria mundi

Although I discussed my concerns with my director a little while ago, it never occurred to me that my concern with the brevity of human life is not so uncommon. So when I returned to the mill at Hazerswoude Dorp which is a convenient source of income for operations in and around the 17th century period it was a matter of mutual comfort to discuss my concern with Philip Thonisz who is picking up an order of flour for some friends. It seems that, as happens all too often, someone has lost a child and among the things Meister Thonisz is bringing home from his visit to Leyden is a new painting, a vanitas. The painting below is a useful example:

As Meister Thonisz explains to me, the purpose of a vanitas is not just to please the eye, but to serve as a constant reminder that we should not attach too great importance to anything in this world, for nothing is permanent.
In the example shown above, the subtle clue could be little miss mousie nibbling on her nut, or the flying lizard, frozen in midair - anyone familiar with the flowers portrayed (as my Dutch hosts are, of course) knows that these blooms open at different times of year, and the artist has ingeniously suggested that, transient as we are, every life adds something different, yet equally vital to the composition of the whole picture.
As a visitor, apart from the occasional encounter with civil militias, it is easy for me to forget that the Netherlandish provinces are still caught up in a power struggle with Spain, a legacy of the Hapsburg empire, although as one of the Leyden burghers expressed the situation in a speech a few days ago
"It is known to all the world that whereas it is generally the nature of war to ruin the land and people, these countries on the contrary have been noticeably improved thereby."
I am also indebted to Meister Thonisz for introducing me to the following melancholy song:




Click here to visit the Tune-O-Tron where you can hear the song, or download a PDF file.

Leyden en verdraghen

Lyden en verdraghen

Moet ick op dit termyn.

My en baeten gheen clagen:

Ten mach anders niet syn.

Want myns liefs claer aenschyn

Moet ick voerwaer derven.

Maer ick en acht gheen pyn,

Mach ick noch troost verwerven.

To suffer and endure

Is what I must do at this time.

No use in my complaining:

It cannot be otherwise.

Because my darling's lovely face

I must truly do without.

But I would feel no pain,

If I could obtain comfort once again.


Sic transit gloria mundi - so passes the glory of the world
Creative Commons License My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host!

The written content of this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.



No comments:

Search

Google