Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Organ Recital at St.Lawrence's Church

The reason I was late getting to the rendezvous was that I had actually left St.Lawrence's and was following you into the churchyard when I heard the organist begin a fugue. I'm sure most organists of the time could have played this piece perfectly competently, but what caught my ear was a subtlety in the rubato that suggested this was not just a typically good musician, but someone quite extraordinary. Of course, it would have to be someone extraordinary to be engaged by a Duke. So I popped back inside and settled down to listen (of course!).

Click to listen


Having apparently satisfied himself that his practice for the day was sufficient, the organist collected his books and a few loose sheets, and was leaving the organ loft when I waylaid him. This was one of those "Wow!" moments for me. My first meeting with Georg Frideric Haendel, or as he is known in England, George Frederick Handel.

Mr.Handel is of average height, allowing an inch or so perhaps for his shoes and peruke, clean-shaven and nicely pomaded. The portrait of him which I include below was made later in his life, but now, in his early thirties he is already developing that well-fed corpulence, and moves with an easy, relaxed gait, even climbing down the slightly awkward stairs from the organ loft.

I drop a respectful curtsey; "Have I the pleasure of addressing the noted Mr. Handel, sir?"

"Goot Afternoon, Mattam. I am indeed Mr.Hantel, and might Mr.Hantel haf tse honor of knowink whom duss he attress?"

Introducing myself in persona as the representative of a tailor, I seize the opportunity of asking Mr.Handel about the music he was playing, and hopefully I shall have an opportunity to learn more about his engagement at Cannons.

"Tse piece fitch I belief you ver askink about voss my fugue in G major. I tsink perhaps a leetle more polish, and I shall seek to publish it abroad."

Among other things which we discuss, walking back to Cannons, I learn that Mr.Handel is engaged to provide new music for entertainments hosted by the Duke, and sometimes leads the small band from the harpsichord. His grace, it seems, is not so much a performer himself, as an Apollo of the arts, preferring to use his beneficence to encourage the arts (and Mr.Handel is nothing if not a perfect diplomat in discussing matters relating to his employer).

"Shall I have the pleasure of hearing you play again on Sunday, Mr.Handel?"

"I tsink not Mattam. Unless you fill be joinink his Krace in tse chapel at tse house."

At this I am obliged to seek some explanation for his presence in St.Lawrence's.

"Tse church hass a razzer fine acoustic for tse organ, and recrettably, his Krace's chapel is not yet completet, howeffer, tse verkmen fill make it retty for tse diffine serfice on Suntay."

Finally, before we part company, me to the rendezvous point, and Mr.Handel to return to his chambers within the house, I can't resist asking if Mr.Handel knows of any talented blacksmiths in the village?

"Tsere iss vun fellow, but I fould not fenture to assay his talent as a smit. Tsough I am sure he is as capaple a farrier as any man fitin fife miles. Haff you a horse in neet of shoeink?"

His expression betrays a mixture of curiosity and mild surprise. I think it is time I thanked him for his company and made haste to the rendezvous.

"Mattam, it hass been my pleshur, and a ferry goot afternoon to you also."


References

Have I whetted your appetite to learn more about fugal composition?
Creative Commons License My site was nominated for Best Blogging Host! The written content of this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Search

Google