Translate

Music (in abc notation) and stories

Followers

Friday, November 2, 2007

Breadcrumbs or Gunpowder?

Somebody left a trail. For whom? And why?

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November,

Gunpowder treason and Plot,
For I know no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

Since King James came to power in '03, there have been several plots aimed at changing the political picture, but this looks like it might actually succeed. One of the conspirators, Robert Winter, is a member of Parliament who is using his position and influence to allow his brother to come and go freely to the Houses of Parliament in London.

At Hengrave Hall in Suffolk, Sir Thomas Kytson has received word from a network of catholic conspirators that a plot is in hand to remove King James from the throne to clear the way for a catholic monarch. After Queen Elizabeth died leaving no heir, the throne was open to King James the sixth of Scotland to become James the first of England. While James may be king, Robert Cecil, one of Elizabeth's most trusted advisors wields the real power and the prospect of any law promoting religious tolerance seems scant.


Sir Thomas Kytson

Lady Kytson

Sir Thomas's house musician is John Wilbye who learned his craft in the patronage of Sir William Cornwallis, in his home town of Brome in Norfolk. Why should we suspect Wilbye? When he first entered the household of Cornwallis he was only fourteen. The Spanish Armada was on its way to reclaim protestant England for the true catholic faith after the excommunication of Elizabeth for refusing to obey Papal authority. Wilbye, like Cornwallis, is catholic and presumably awaited the restoration of the true faith as eagerly as his patron.

The Earl of Salisbury and head of King James's intelligence service, Robert Cecil, has hinted that Wilbye may be using a code that conceals information in songs; look carefully at the way he divides the song between different voices overlapping, which voices are silent, which singing, how the melody moves. We need to either confirm, or deny that this is how the messages are being transmitted1. We have no sound evidence on which to base the next suggestion, but Sir Francis Walsingham operated an extensive intelligence network during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Is it possible that Wilbye was initially trained as one of Walsingham's operatives? It seems unlikely, given that Walsingham was committed to supporting the English crown, but we cannot discount the possibility entirely.

As cover for this investigation, you will be joining a group of musicians hired to play for the All Saints Day festivities at Hengrave. Keep your eyes and ears open, even while rehearsing and playing: we already know that Wilbye is corresponding on a regular basis with George Kirbye, house musician for Sir Robert Jermyn at Rushbrooke Hall, about five miles across Bury St. Edmunds as the crow flies. You should make yourself familiar with the song presented; the Musicians Gallery at Hengrave is well-equipped with several cornetts, viols, violins, a sackbut, hautbois, chest of recorders and a cithern.

X:1                          % number
T:Lady, your words do spite me % title
C:John Wilbye                % composer
O:http://www.xprt.net/%7Evox/Music/101.nwc % origin.
M:C                           % meter
L:1/4                        % length of shortest note
Q:                           % tempo
V:1 name="Cantus"
V:2 name="Quintus"
V:3 name="Altus"
V:4 name="Tenor"
V:5 name="Bassus" clef=bass
K:A                           % key
%
%==2====3=========4=========5=======6=======7============8==========9===========10
%
V:1                          % voice 1
A4 | e4 | z e c e | B3 E    | z3  e-|e c2 A | c3 c       | e2 z2    | z f f e    |
w:La-dy, your words do spite me, your_ words do spite_ me, your words do
V:2
z4 | z4 | z4      | z4      | z4    | A4    | e2 z2      | z2 d2    | c B>A    A-|
w:                                    La-dy, your words do_ spite
V:3
z4 | E4 | A4      | z B G B |    A4-|A2 E2  | E2 E A     | =G2 F2   | z F F A    |
w:La-dy, your words do spite_ me, your words do spite me, your words do
V:4
z4 | z4 | A4      | e4      | z ece | c2 A2 | z A G A    | B c d2   | A F A E    |
w:La-dy, your words do spite me, your words do spite__ me, your words do
V:5
z4 | z4 | z4      | z4      |   F,4 | A,4   | z A, E, F, | E,2 B,,2 | z D, D, C, |
w:La-dy, your words do spite me, your words do
%
%========11=========12============13============14========15============16=======17=======18
V:1
d4        | c e c>d  | e f e2      | z e>e E     | B4      | G B>B A     | G A2 G | A2 z e-|
w:spite me, yet your sweet lips, so soft, kiss and de-light me, kiss and de-light__ me, your
V:2
A G/F/ G2 | A3 e     | c>d e c     | B B>B B     | F4      | E e>d c     | B A B2 | c4     |
w:____ me, yet your sweet lips, so soft, kiss and de-light me, kiss and de-light__ me
V:3
D4        | E2 E2    | A>A A A     | F G>G E     | ^D E2 D | E E>E E     | E4     | E E2 C-|
w:spite me, yet your sweet lips, so soft, kiss and de-light__ me, kiss and de-light me, your deeds_
V:4
B4        | E c c A  | e>d c2      | z B>B B     | B4      | B B>B c     | e c B2 | A2 A2  |
w:spite me, yet your sweet lips, so soft, kiss and de-light me, kiss and de-light, de-light me, your
V:5
B,,4      | A,,2 A,2 | A,>D, A, A, | B, E,>E, E, | B,,4    | E, G,>G, A, | E,4    | A,,4   |
w:spite me, yet your sweet lips, so soft, kiss and de-light me, kiss and de-light me,
%
%=======19=======20===============21==========22======23=========24=======25==========26============27
V:1
e c2 e   | A A d2-|d c B A         | B4        | c4    | z4       | z4     | z4        |z2 e2        |
w:_ deeds my heart sur-charg'd_ with o-ver-joy-ing, your
V:2
z4       | z4     | z4             | z4        | z3  e-|e c2 e    | f3 e   | d c B A   | B4          |
w:your_ deeds my heart sur-charg'd with o-ver-joy-
V:3
C A A>=G | F3 E    | F/=G/A/F/ G A-| A G/F/ G2 | A2 A2 | A2 A2    | A3 =G  | F>E D E   | E4          |
w:_ my heart sur-charg'd with o-ver-joy--------ing, Your deeds my heart sur-charg'd with o-ver-joy-
V:4
A2 A2    | d3 c    | B A e f       | e4        | e4    | z A A>G  | F F B2-|B A F/G/ A-|A G/F/ G2    |
w:deeds my heart sur-charg'd with o-ver-joy-ing, your deeds my heart sur-charg'd_ with o-ver-joy-----
V:5
z4       | z4      | z4            | z4        |   A,4-|A,2 F, C, | D,3 E, | B,, C, D, A,, | E,2 E,2 |
w:your_ deeds my heart sur-charg'd with o-ver-joy-ing,
%
%=====28========29==========30=============31===============32========33========34===35=======36
V:1
e2 e2  | c>d e2  | A4        | z4           | z e2         e-|e e d c  | B A B2  | A4 | z4     |
w:taunts my life des-troy-ing, your taunts_ my life des-troy---ing,
V:2
c4     | z3 e    | e d d c   | d4           | c4             | z e f f | e4      | e4 | A2 d2  |
w:ing, your taunts my life des-troy-ing, my life des-troy-ing, since both
V:3
E4     | z2 A2   | A2 A2     | F>G A2       | E2 E2          | C A, D2-| D C B,2 | C4 | E2 F2  |
w:ing, your taunts my life des-troy-ing, your taunts my life_ des-troy-ing, since both
V:4
A2 c2  | e2 c2   | f f e2    | d4           | z2 A2          | A2 F2   | G A2 G  | A4 | A2 F G |
w:ing, your taunts my life des-troy-ing, your taunts my life des-troy-ing, since both have
V:5
z2 A,2 | A,2 A,2 | F,>G, A,2 | D,>E, F, =G, | A, A,, A,, A,, | C,2 D,2 | E,4     | A,,4 | z4   |
w:your taunts my life des-troy-----ing, your taunts my life des-troy-ing,
%
%=====37========38==========39========40=========41=======42==========43========44=======45
V:1
z4     | z4      | A2 d2     | c2 B  A-|A G/F/ G2 | A3 e   | f>f e A   | A>A A d | c B A2-|
w:since both have force to_ spill__ me, let kis-ses sweet, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill_ me,
V:2
c2 B A | G2 E2   | e2 f2     | e2 d c  | B4       | c3 A   | A>A A e   | f>f e A-|A G A2    |
w:have force to spill me, since both have force to spill me, let kis-ses sweet, let kis-ses sweet, sweet,_ kill me,
V:3
E2 D C | B,2 B,2 | C2 D B,   | E2 F2   | B,2 B,2  | z4     | z3 C      | D>D C D | E2    E2-|
w:have force to spill me, since both have force to spill me, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me,
V:4
A2 D2  | E2 E2   | z A2 B    | c2 d A  | e4       | e3 c   | d>d c A   | F D A2  | z2    c2-|
w:force to spill me, since both have force to spill me, let kis-ses sweet, kis-ses sweet, let_
V:5
z4     | z4      | A,2 F, G, | A,2 D,2 | E,4      | A,3 A, | F, D, A,2 | z3 F,   | E,2 A,,2-|
w:since both have force to spill me, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me,
%
%===========46========47=========48========49============50==========51
V:1
A A A>A      |A e f>f  | e A2 G   | A e e c | e f e/d/  d-|d c d d    |
w:_ let kis-ses sweet, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me. Knights fight with swords and lan-----ces, fight
V:2
e2 f>f       | e A A>A | A d c B  | A3 A    | c A c d     | e2 d A    |
w:let kis-ses sweet, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill_ me. Knights fight with swords and lan-ces, fight
V:3
E2 z2        | z C D>D | C D E2   | E3 E    | E A, A F    | A2 A A    |
w:_ let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me. Knights fight with swords and lan-ces, fight
V:4
c2 d>d       | c A F D | A2 z B   | c2 A c  | c d c B     | e2 f d    |
w:_ kis-ses sweet, let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me. Knights fight with swords and lan-ces, fight
V:5
A,, A, F, D, | A,2 z2  | z F, E,2 | A,,3 A, | A, F, A, B, | A,2 D, D, |
w:_ let kis-ses sweet, sweet, kill me. Knights fight with swords and lan-ces, fight
%
%=========52================53===========54==========55==============56=========57======58
V:1
d B c/d/ e | e/e/ ^d e2      | z B2 d     | c B c2    | B A A c       | B A B2   | c4    |
w:you with smil----ing glan-ces, so, like swans of Lean-der, my ghost from hence shall wan-der,
V:2
B d c>B    | A/=G/ A G2      | z G2 B     | ^A B2 A   | B F F A       | G A2 G   | A4    |
w:you with smil-ing glan---ces, so, like swans of Lean-der, my ghost from hence shall wan-der,
V:3
=G G E   E-|E A, E2          | z E2 F     | F B, F2   | F D D E       | E A, E2  | E4    |
w:you with smil-ing_ glan-ces, so, like swans of Lean-der, my ghost from hence shall wan-der,
V:4
B B A A    | A2 B2           | z B2 B     | c e c2    | d A A2        | B d>c B  | A4    |
w:you with smil-ing glan-ces, so, like swans of Lean-der, my ghost from hence shall wan-der,
V:5
=G, G, A,>G, | F,/E,/ F, E,2 | z E,2 B,, | F, =G, F,2 | B,, D, D, A,, | E, F, E,2 | A,,4 |
w:you with smil-ing glan---ces, so, like swans of Lean-der, my ghost from hence shall wan-der,
%
%======================59=======60=======61========62========]
V:1
[M:3/2][L:1/2] c>c B    | A2 G   | F>G A  | c B2    | A-A-A |]
w:sing-ing and dy-ing, sing--ing, and dy-ing.__
V:2
[M:3/2][L:1/2] A>A G    | F2 E   | D2 F   | A A G   | A-A-A |]
w:sing-ing and dy-ing, sing-ing, and dy-ing.__
V:3
[M:3/2][L:1/2] E>E E    | C2 C   | A,2 A, | A, B,2  | C-C-C |]
w:sing-ing and dy-ing, sing-ing, and dy-ing.__
V:4
[M:3/2][L:1/2] c>c e    | A2 E   | F2 F   | E E2    | E-E-E |]
w:sing-ing and dy-ing, sing-ing, and dy-ing.__
V:5
[M:3/2][L:1/2] A,>A, E, | F,2 C, | D2 D   | A,, E,2 | A,,-A,,-A,, |]
w:sing-ing and dy-ing, sing-ing, and dy-ing.__
In an effort to better understand Master Wilbye, I have also consulted with Doctor Imbrius, of Montague Street. He provided me with an astrological chart with a summary of the influences acting on Wilbye.



1 Perhaps the most important example of music used to encrypt information is the alchemical text "Atalanta Fugiens". For more recent examples of music being used to encrypt non-musical content, consider the use of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony by the BBC during World War II to represent the Morse code "V" for victory; the signal that the D-Day invasion was about to begin, and J.S.Bach's use of the letters of his own name as a theme.








No comments:

Search

Google